Thursday, September 6, 2012

HMO Twist

Doctors don't like HMOs and I have an HMO.

I have made multiple attempts to find a surgeon to give me a second opinion.  My top choice will not take my HMO.  I'm already with one of the top three so I will not be getting a second opinion at this point.

Reconstruction:

Weight is a big factor when considering reconstruction.  Belly fat can pull on the wound, complicating healing.  It is recommended that heavy individuals heal after a mastectomy before going forward with reconstruction.  Further, unilateral reconstruction means the reconstructed breast will forever be the same size but the other will grow and shrink with weight gain and weight loss.  Its a lot to consider.

Prosthetics:

My BFF is a prosthetician.  This can be a good non-surgical solution either temporarily or permanently.  It still seems odd to me but it will give me time to get used to the new me.

Oncology:

Dr. Perkins has agreed to meet with me on Monday at 7:00 am.  I will have a friend with me who has been there done that, twice.  Dr. Perkins should be able to answer a LOT of the many questions accumulating.

Health:

I am going to continue seeing my trainer until they tell me I can't.  Today's workout although short felt great.  I now I have a few things I can do that don't make me bounce or rub myself the wrong way.

I was told I will need someone with me for 10 days after surgery.  Once I have a surgery date, I will post a schedule.

Keep the thoughts, prayers and laughs coming.

Thank you all!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment