Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I Kicked Chemo's Ass!!

Chemo #6: Done

Today I received my last doses of Carboplatin and Taxotere.  I have weathered their storm well.  Dr. P is pleased.  I will continue to have side effects for the next few weeks but then they will subside.  My hair will grow back.  Feeling will return to my hands and feet.  The diarrhea should subside.

Potential Problem

I have developed a shortness of breath when I walk any distance or attempt any physical activity.  Dr. P believes I may have a pulmonary embolism.  This is a more rare side effect and it is life threatening.  I will be undergoing a specialized CT scan tomorrow.  If I do have the embolism, I will most likely receive Heparin and Coumadin.  I'm a little scared.

Next Steps

My breast cancer showed production of an extra amount of the HER-2 protein a.k.a. HER-2 positive.  I have been taking the antibody Herceptin intravenously at the end of my chemo treatments.  I will need to continue taking this antibody through September.  It is not considered chemotherapy and the side effects are less serious.  The antibody will be administered every three weeks and will include a blood draw.  I will be able to work after these treatments.

Radiation was also indicated in my case.  I have my first consult on Friday, January 18.  At that time, I will be given details about the treatment plan and side effects.  The current plan is to receive daily treatments of approximately 10 minutes for 6 weeks.  Side effects include fatigue and severe sunburn.

Long Term Follow Up

I will be followed every 3 months in year one.  I will be followed every 4 months in year two.  I will be followed every 6 months in years three through five.  I will be followed annually thereafter.  My prognosis is excellent.

I caught my cancer early by being proactive about my annual mammogram.  My treatment was a little on the aggressive side but I agreed that I would rather err on the side of caution.  My aggressive treatment also allowed me to keep my breast which, despite my unwillingness to admit, was important to me at 46 and single.

Lessons Learned to Date
Chemo therapy has been a nuisance and sometimes difficult but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  I broke down the night before I shaved my head, but in the end, it was empowering.  I have felt happy, strong and confident ever since.  Who knew?  Cancer has been a gift from God and I'm thankful for what it has given me and what it has taught me.

I have been given sisters, friends, love, a relationship with God, and knowledge.  I have learned patience, positivity, and faith.

Next phase starts in just a few weeks.  Stay tuned.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Love you!

    - Mark (dunno why it keeps saying I'm "unknown")

    ReplyDelete